Memorial Day Weekend is a time for barbecues, relaxation, and the arrival of summer berries in dessert. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries infiltrate cakes, pies, trifles, and cheesecakes all season long. This coconut-lime berry cake was just the right combination of tart berries, sweet shredded coconut, and tangy lime juice. The cake was moist,spongy, and each bite so densely populated with berries that the full trio of blackberry, raspberry, and blueberries was present in every sweet bite. This dessert is a perfect way to kick back and enjoy a three-day weekend while celebrating berry season !
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons lime juice
3 cups mixed berries (I used raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13″ baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut.
3. In another large bowl beat butter and 1 cup sugar on until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.
5. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and beat on low until combined.
6. Stir in lime zest and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Pour batter into dish. Tap to distribute batter evenly in pan
7. In a medium bowl, toss together 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, berries, and 3 tablespoons of lime juice. Scatter berry mixture over batter. Bake cake for 35-40 minutes, or until cake is golden at edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
8. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve. This is easiest to do once the cake is completely cooled in the refrigerator for one hour.
All Photos: Zac Wolf