When you live with me, you reap the benefits of constantly being a taste tester, getting fed excess cake scraps, and living in a house where the aroma of warm cookies wafts through the hallways. Last night, I was bumming around on the internet when my roommate, Ben, alerted me that his bananas had gone mushy and brown and I could do with them what I pleased. Challenge accepted. After a quick Google search, I was led to a Cooking Light article containing the Best Banana Bread recipes. There was classic banana bread (snooze.), peanut butter banana bread (done it.), and chocolate chip walnut banana bread (still boring.). But then the words “coconut-lime” caught my eye and peaked my attention. It quickly became obvious that of course these tropical flavors would go wonderfully together. Since banana is such a strong flavor, I really wanted to make sure the coconut got it’s time in the lime-light (hehe.) I increased the amount of sweetened flakes in the bread and also added some lime zest for subtle acidity. This glaze was yummy but not necessary and maybe even made the bread overly sugary. Next time I make this (and there will be a next time!) I am not going to include it. Overall, this recipe is a fantastic tropical twist on classic banana bread.
Coconut Lime Banana Bread
Adapted from: Cooking Light
2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
zest of 1 lime
1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with a hand mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add banana, yogurt, vanilla, lime juice, and lime zest; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut with a spatula
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon coconut.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lime juice; Add drops of milk until glaze reaches desired consistency.
- Drizzle over warm bread.